Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Emilee's Weight Loss Journey



I recently decided to try out the Shape Reclaimed Program after seeing the positive effects it had on the patients at Tompkins Wellness Center. When I first began working at TWC, my health was far from ideal. Due to a knee injury in 2011, I was unable to exercise and my eating habits slowly become less and less healthy. In one year I put on 45 pounds and the effects of the weight started to interfere with my daily routines. My self esteem was decreasing, I had low energy, difficulty sleeping, joint pain, headaches, and I was easily winded. I hit a point where I realized I no longer wanted to live with these symptoms and decided to start Shape Reclaimed. 

Today, January 27, 2012, is my 16th day on the program and I have lost 17 pounds. Not only have I had great results thus far, but the way in which I achieved the weight loss was healthy and not due to starvation. Because the program is made specific to me and guided by a doctor, we were able to change my diet to adequately meet my body’s needs and ensure healthy weight loss. Along with the decrease in weight, I have ample amounts of energy and I have found a new source of motivation to get through the occasional sugar cravings. 

Although I am thrilled with the program and the results I am seeing, there are some areas that I find challenging. I am a person who has a definite sweet tooth. Eliminating sugar from my diet was difficult, and the first week was incredibly hard. I actually went through a detox period where I had intense cravings that affected my mood and energy level. Now, these cravings have slowly declined, but I still have days where I crave starches and sugars. Also, with rapid weight loss it easy to become accustomed to losing a few pounds every day. Now that I have less to lose, the rate at which I lose weight has slowed and I have learned not to put too much emphasis on what the scale reads every morning. Although my weight in pounds has slowed, I am still burning fat and losing inches. 

As I start my third week on the program, I can already tell my relationship with food has changed forever. I know this may sound like a dramatic statement, but the effects of eating healthy far outweigh the desire to eat unhealthy foods. Overall, I am a much happier and energetic person. I feel great and wonder how I lived before I started the program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment